November 24, 2012

INCONSIDERATE SMOKERS

Oh, the irony of my post title because being a smoker is already a good enough reason to call them inconsiderate. And smokers ARE inconsiderate. Yet, why the need to add the word "inconsiderate" before the word "smoker" when they are generally known as inconsiderate and need no further adjective in front to describe them?

Simply because, some are really more inconsiderate than others.


I used to really dislike smokers in the past and abhor the smell of smoke.

I remember when I became friends with my (ex) boyfriend; the first thing Jingyin (Really close senior/friend) asked me was "I thought you really dislike people who smoke one?" Which was true.

In the past, I looked down on people who smoke simply because I felt that they are really low and shallow people. Not in the sense that they are literally shallow but I just felt like those who smoke have already "given up on life" and I felt they're just taking up space and wasting resources on Earth.

But I got to know Leon, Chingsoon, then my ex and many of the people around me started to become smokers too.
Eventually, I stopped to dislike/look down on smokers because I realized that they may smoke but that doesn't mean they're like those hooligans or low down people I thought smokers would be like.

Still, I do not encourage smoking and I still stick to my stand of smokers being inconsiderate people.

Inconsiderate because they didn't think about their loved ones and most importantly, because they "force" non smokers to become smokers too. -By that, I mean secondhand smokers.


Of course, I have smoker friends who are nice and considerate and they always go somewhere else to take a puff or make me stand at a corner while they go to a side to smoke so I wouldn't have to breathe in the smoke. 

BUT I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT TAKE IT WHENEVER PEOPLE SMOKE WHILE WALKING, AT THE TRAFFIC LIGHT, AT THE TAXI STAND, basically, smoking at non designated smoking areas and have non smokers breath in the smoke as well.


Let me give you an idea of what I am talking about.
Just like in Secondary school, I have to walk a distance from the MRT to school every morning and like in many other polys, my school has a fair share of smokers. 
Every morning without fail, I will have to breath in the smoke of these people who are smoking in front, behind, beside BASICALLY EVERYWHERE AROUND ME. Each time I recover from my cough during a school's vacation and have my mum thank God for my recovery, I get my cough back once school starts again -_-

IT IS SO DAMN INCONSIDERATE?
I mean, can't they stand aside to finish their stick before they walk to school? Would they die halfway through the journey to school just because they don't get their puff? IF YOU ARE A SMOKER HERE READING MY BLOG, WOULD YOU????????? NO!


Yet, they have to smoke while they walk and have all the non smokers like me who haven chosen not to smoke because of whatever reasons (like we want to live a healthier lifestyle, we do not want to pollute/destroy our lungs/heart, asthma, chronic bronchitis, acute bronchitis etc) who have to breath in the smoke. 

SO WHAT'S DIFFERENCE DOES OUR DECISION OF CHOOSING NOT TO SMOKE MAKE?   
NONE. BECAUSE WE WOULD STILL END UP AS SMOKERS BY BREATHING IN THE SMOKE, SMOKERS SMOKE.

NO!

NOT ONLY THAT, WE ARE BREATHING IN THE SMOKE WITHOUT FILTER WHICH IS DOUBLE THE TIME THE SMOKE IS HARMFUL TO A SMOKER.


What makes it worse is that no matter where non smokers like us try to escape/stay away from smokers so that we wouldn't have to breath in the smoke/take the smell of the smoke, we would still find smokers everywhere outdoor. Yet, we can't possible stay in door all the time if we want to get to places.

Be a little more considerate, smokers (though it's ironic).
Smoke at designated smoking areas, at corners, wherever and give non smokers a chance for a better, less polluted air.

It isn't fair that you increase the chances that we have to die when it's your own choice that you want to shorten your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

CHARMMAN
kiss on you!