February 21, 2014

TAKING BACK GIVEN GIFTS

Imagine, 
someone asking back for a gift that they have given you.
I know, sucks right. And really "loser-ish".



But that was what the government wanted to do a few weeks ago…
It was reported on The Straits Times on 3rd Feb, "Funding cuts for top independent schools in Singapore" and this was called for to make all schools equal.

Well, may I interest you in something?
It was back in 2006 when the government initiated the GEP to encourage students to work hard to become better and get into good schools. And now, it seems like the government doesn't want students to work hard anymore… or that might seem to be the case. If not, why take away the privileges given to "good" schools?

I was really confused to why the government wanted to make ALL schools, GOOD schools and I thought it was a rather stupid move. So, I went on to find out why, and came a conclusion. Which is because many Singaporeans are complaining about schools not being equal -_-

I honestly see this "making ALL schools, good schools" as nothing more than a populist move.  
And a really stupid one.
I mean, if all schools are equal, then why would a student even work hard since at the end of the day, no matter however good his/her score is, he/she would end up in the same school just like everybody else?
And it was also stated along the line of schools would use fans instead of air cons due to the funding cut blahblah. So I jokingly said to my brother "lol. can you imagine people like you who worked so hard to get into the top schools won't be able to enjoy air con anymore while people who scored badly like me are 'rewarded' with air cons". 
Moreover, what's more stupid/retarded about this whole issue is that it isn't even the students themselves who are complaining but the parents -.-
I mean, IF MAJORITY OF THE STUDENTS, WE, ARE OKAY WITH THE DIFFERENT BANDING OF SCHOOLS, WHY YOU PARENTS, WHO ARE NO LONGER SCHOOLING, COMPLAINING?!!?
Because you want your child to have equal footing? 
But FUN FACT, the so called "equal footing" is earned through hard work so they can get into the top schools. NOT though whatever kind of measures you, weak Singaporeans, want the government to take.
 In the end, it only makes a large segment of the Singaporeans happy (but not for long because "weak" Singaporeans will never be happy), a small segment of the of them angry. And it contributes exactly nothing to the equal distribution of wealth and other underlying problems of inequity in Singapore.
Don't adults always teach us that 
"IF YOU WANT SOMETHING, WORK HARD FOR IT"
AND NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT IT.

P/s. I got so so sooooo much to say about this issue but I am so lazy now to put whatever I've told my parents/brothers into this post. (You should have heard me in person. I think I made a hell lot of sense)

P/s/s. I know there was another report that came out which says that the report on funding being cut for top schools have said to be inaccurate but honestly, both are stupid. Because on the new reported one, it says that the used of air cons should be cut down so to be "ecologically sustainable and cost-effective." Which is still, taking away the privileges that you get to enjoy being in a good school. And also, if the government wants to be cost-effective and ecologically sustainable, they should start with their offices first, don't you think so? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

CHARMMAN
kiss on you!