August 24, 2014

It made a difference for at least one


"If what *SCAPE is doing isn't even helping the youths then shouldn't we just close it cause what's the use?" 
I remember saying this during one of the discussion meetings we had and being the straight forward person I am, I can't help but say what I felt at that point when I didn't know any better and it shocked everyone. Though it was a discussion meeting for them to gather the opinions from the youths, I WAS JUST/STILL AN INTERN!!

Today officially marks my last day at *SCAPE; 4 months as an intern and 15 days as a temp staff. -And I think being in a company for 5 months is enough time for me to tell if the company has truly live out it's vision. 

I'll say, I take my words back because it did. 

In the span of 5 months I've seen so many events lined up for the youths, youths coming over to use the venue to practice dance, sing or even for studies. I've seen youths volunteering and enjoying themselves. -And I know this because I have been volunteering as well.


I remember my 2nd day as an intern in the office.
And all of a sudden, Izhar came to me telling me that he needs me to redo the backdrop for the coming weekend's event because the company they hired didn't do a proper job and he needs it to be done urgently. "HUH!?!? HOW THE HELL DO I DO THIS" I thought. Man, I was scared and really worried. But I had to do what I have to do and each time I send Izhar my work for approval, he would go "WA!! NICE!", "THIS IS SERIOUSLY DAMN GOOD", "This is like wayyyy better than the design company", "WELL DONE!".

I would never forget how encouraging he was and he came shouting across the office on Friday "CHARMAN! DID YOU SEE YOUR MASTERPIECE?? IT'S DONE!!".
And I'll never forget how emotional I felt when I saw my artwork being placed up in public for the first time.

Fast forward to Youtube Fanfest 2014 and I was tasked to do stickers, email signature, banner, poster etc.


And I remember how excited everyone in the office was for me when the photobooth props that I've designed arrived. They all rushed to look at in and were all "wa, who did this", "it's damn well done".
Once again, I have never felt so encouraged before.




And I thought to myself so often "woah, this company probably has the most encouraging people you'll ever meet."

I was given so many opportunities as an intern and was even given the chance to lead the design project for Singapore's 49th Birthday which happened this year.

During my 5 months there I've seen how the programming team brainstorm and come out with ideas for the youths. I've seen how they put in effort and organize different events that gives youths the platform to fulfill their dreams. I've seen youths going to the events and enjoying them. I've seen people being able to fulfill their passion whether is it for dance, production, entrepreneurship or for singing because of the space provided in the building and because of the resources being given to them, to help them. I've seen my friends coming to *SCAPE to do their projects while I was interning there.

So if you were to ask me if *SCAPE has made any difference in the lives of youth, I'll say it did.
Because at least it did for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

CHARMMAN
kiss on you!